The anime seven deadly sins have taken the anime world by storm. Its quirky overpowered characters, comedy, and a sprinkle of romance have quickly become one of the must-watch anime series. Every episode takes us on a rollercoaster of adventures, fights, and comedic relief. It’s a shame that it’s coming to an end. But fear not, we bring you some anime that are similar to the seven deadly sins. I hope you enjoy the roller coaster of emotions these anime bring you.
Seven deadly sins (Nanatsu no Taizai) – Plot Synopsis
This anime series is based on a Japanese fantasy manga series written and illustrated by Nakaba Suzuki. It’s a 24 episode season recently added to Netflix as a must-watch.
Anime starts with mentions of 7 deadly sins as the mythical defamed criminals and third princess of the kingdom, Elizabeth’s adventurous quest in search for the Seven Deadly Sins. With their help, she endeavors to take back her kingdom from the Holy Knights.
The kingdom of lioness witnesses mayhem. Since an unholy demonic power corrupts the Order of Holy Knights in the kingdom, therefore the land’s only hope is a band of powerful warriors. They are an exiled group of oddballs that seem to spend as much time fighting each other as they do fighting their enemies. These are the seven deadly sins. The leader of the group is an undersized pervert with a broken blade and a talking pig! A jealous giant, a fussy fairy, and an immortal bandit pining over his lost love join them in their adventure.
The seven deadly sins defeat Hendrickson. Thus people of the kingdom realize his villainous plans to revive the Demon Clan. And of course, the people of the kingdom praise the seven deadly sins for protecting the kingdom. As a result, The seven deadly sins are cleared of their false charges and welcomed back into the Kingdom of Lioness once again.
The main storyline spins around the good old ploy – good guys Vs bad guys narrative. And as a result, the good guys are perceived as the villain for the majority of the series. The supposed villains fight against their ex – faction and go up against the government when the kingdom is corrupted by vice. They are the main protagonists of the series. So it’s a cliche show with the bad guys having a good side all along…
GENRE: It’s a fantasy, action-packed, adventurous, ecchi, shounen supernatural anime. Moreover, the whole show has badass vibes and comedic relief.
Firstly, this anime has a fantasy aesthetic
- It is set in an ancient era. and magical and human live together
- Each being has a uniquely varied range of power and attack techniques. With different combat level rankings and they level up with each fight,
- Each protagonist has a specific weapon, combat mastery, a deadly move that they rarely use. They also have charming tattoos that symbolize their sins…
Character interaction here is riveting. It focuses on each character as the show progress. In other words, it’s a solely character-driven show
- The growth and development of each character is amplified with character interaction and fights within themselves and enemies
- Be it violent friendly brawls between Ban and Melodilas just to test who’s strong. Everything is on point and accounted for. Be it the perverted ways of Melodias with Elizabeth or each character’s backstory.
It centers around an overpowered protagonist, having a massive amount of powers from the start. The adventurous journey accordingly has various obstacles and various towns and change in the scenario
Anime similar to seven deadly sins
Following are seven anime similar to seven deadly sins in conclusion with the above analysis.
7. Hunter x Hunter
Genre: shounen, action, adventure, comedy, fantasy, martial arts, psychological, supernatural anime
Gon Freecss is the protagonist of this series. Even though everyone told him that his parents are dead, gon learns that his father is alive and is a hunter. Afterward, Gon decides to leave his home to take the hunter examination. During the exam, he befriends three other people. After passing many trials, he and his friends pass the hunter’s exam and go on different adventures. Eventually, each character goes on his way to fulfill his dream. Meanwhile, Gon and Kilua begin playing Greed Island, which is a rare and expensive game. After completing the game despite the odds, Gon decides to meet his father. However, they are sent to meet Kite and to help him in his research. Later, they travel together and share many adventures.
Similarity with anime seven deadly sins
- Hunter x hunter takes place in another world like seven deadly sins. Gon is similar to Mediloas as both are pint-sized.
- Both the series have epic fight scenes that are satisfactory to watch.
- The main characters have to suffer to achieve their goals and dreams in both the series.
6. Fairy Tail
Genre: shounen, ecchi, action, adventure, comedy, fantasy anime
The series takes place in a magic world. People use magic and use their magic to complete job requests to earn their living. The series centers around Lucy Heartfilia, a celestial wizard, and Natsu Dragneel, a dragon slayer wizard, a part of the guild, fairy tale. Gray Fullbuster, an ice wizard, Erza Scarlet, a magical knight, and Wendy Marvel, a dragon slayer with her companion Carla complete the team.
The team goes on many adventures, subduing criminals, dark guilds, and doing other jobs given by clients and usually causing mayhem and destruction along the way. They enjoy several adventures together and forge strong bonds and thus gather trustworthy companions and allies. Hence everyone works together to defeat the army of the main antagonist. At the same time, Natsu ( main hero) defeats Zeref. Along with the other dragon slayers, Natsu joins together to fight and defeat Acnologia, the Dragon King. The end of the series paves the way for more adventures for the gang.
Similarity with the anime seven deadly sins
Fairy tail is similar to anime 7 deadly sins in many aspects :
- Both of them show the strength of friendship and fighting for your friends and the difference between right and wrong.
- Both shows follow the adventures of the protagonists and their friends going on adventurous journeys.
- The frenemy between Natsu and Gray is similar to Bran and Mediolas. Both pairs fight each other at the smallest provocation but are also the ones to help each other at the drop of a hat.
- The female characters in both the series have good character development and are not weak. And they don’t need to rely on their male counterparts. The characters of the people differ, but they somehow fit together and can strengthen their friends.
5. Black Clover
Genre: shounen, action, adventure, drama, fantasy anime
This series follows the adventures of two boys, Yuno and Asta, abandoned at the same orphanage. They live in a world where people practice magic with the help of Grimoires. Everyone considers Yuno a genius and have high expectations. Asta, meanwhile, has no magical powers and is considered a failure. Nonetheless, both of them have the same dreams of becoming the strongest wizard and taking on the Wizard King’s mantle. While both of them work hard to fulfill this dream, it creates a rivalry between them. Therefore take their first step towards fulfilling this dream is by joining different magic squads.
Namely, the series mainly focuses on Asta and his development. He is an oddity as he is without an ounce of magic power within him. He obtains a mysterious 5 leaved clover grimoire, which allows him to use anti-magic swords. Thus he can negate any magic.
Similarity with the anime seven deadly sins:
- The similarities shared by black clover and 7 deadly sins consist of the fight against evil and friendship bonds. Both Yuno and Asta consider each other a rival but help each other without any prejudice. This friendship is similar to Bran and Mediolas, who are constantly fighting.
- The series’s setting is also similar as both are set in medieval times with knights, kings, etc.
- The plot is somewhat similar, as both of the series focus on defeating the antagonists.
4. Yona of the Dawn (Akatsuki no Yona)
Genre: shoujo, action, adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy, historical, romance, supernatural anime
Set in a fictional nation that draws inspiration from a mixture of Japanese, Korean and Chinese cultures. The story follows the redemption of Yona, the sole princess of the Kingdom of Kouka.
At the beginning of the series, Yona is a happy go lucky and carefree princess. During her birthday celebration, her crush of many years, Su-Won, comes and visits her. Yona visits her father at night to find Su-won murdering her father in cold blood. And staging a Coup d’état to become Kouka’s next King. Meanwhile, Yona escapes with her bodyguard Hak. Then she travels to Hak’s birthplace, Fuuga, the capital of the Wind Tribe,
There Hak’s grandfather tells them to search for a priest named Ik-Su. After learning about the legend of the 4 dragon warriors, Yona is determined to find the descendants of the 4 dragon warriors’ descendants and take back her original place as the next heir of the crown and unify the country. Yona and Hak then travel worldwide to find the descendant 4 dragon warriors with Ik-Su’s assistant Yun.
Similarity with anime seven deadly sins
- The series centers around the girl Yona who’s traveling around amassing dragons. To help her against the government and reclaim justice.
- In a sense, Yona resembles Elizabeth’s character from seven deadly sins. While the 4 dragons warriors can be compared to 7 deadly sins.
- Both the series are full of comedic relief but have moments so serious that you can’t take your eyes off the screen.
The friendly bickering interaction between dragons and how they learn to tolerate each other is quirky. Both series show the impact of greed and ignorance that affects the country’s people if the ruler is weak and the corruption in different government levels.
3. Akame ga Kill!
Genre: shounen, mature, action, drama, fantasy, psychological, romance, tragedy anime
Akame ga kill is a series that mainly deals with the government’s oppression and the corruption and the greed of the people in the position of power. However, the protagonist Tatsumi is a naive fighter who wishes to enlist in the army and his two childhood friends. After a bandit attack separates him from his friends and then scam’s him off his money. A Noble invites him into his house with an ulterior motive, to torture and kill him like his friends.
An assassin group (night raid) saves him. They are part of the revolutionary forces with the motto to overthrow the prime minister, who is manipulating the young emperor for his gain.
The members of Night Raid carry Teigu. Its unique weapons were created 900 years ago out of scarce materials and legendary animals called Danger Beasts. The series follows the events that allow the night raid members to assassinate the prime ministers and his minions. The execution of The prime minister takes place before the emperor. Tatsumi causes his Teigu to awaken the dormant beast in the sword. And thus, limiting the number of times he can transform without turning into a beast. In the final battle, Tatsumi transforms into a dragon and stays stuck in that form. Thus a new government is set up after the execution of antagonists.
Similarity with seven deadly sins
- In both the series, the focus is on overthrowing the corrupt government and saving innocent people’s lives.
- Both anime share a similar pattern that is; good guys portrayed as the bad guys. In the end, the bad guys end up saving the day.
- While 7 deadly sins have more comedic relief. Akame ga kill is more dark and psychological, with some comedy sprinkled in.
2. Full-Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Genre: shounen, action, adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy, historical, mystery, psychological, sci-fi, supernatural anime
Full-metal Alchemist takes place in the fictional country of Amestris.In this world, alchemy is one of the most-practiced sciences; and the protagonist Edward Elric is the youngest state alchemist. The series follows the journey of the Elric Brothers, Edward and Alphonse. They wish to find a way to get Alphonse’s body and Edwards’s hand and leg back. The brothers attempted the forbidden human transmutation to bring their mother back.
The brothers spend 3 years to find the mythical Philosopher’s Stone to achieve their goals. They encounter foes and friends along the way and discover a bigger conspiracy hidden in plain sight. The upper echelon of the military is a part of the conspiracy. They encounter 7 homunculi created after the main antagonist – father. They are the embodiment of -pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, and sloth. The brothers fight against the father, who uses the lives of the people of the country. To operate the large transmutation circle allowing the father to become a god. With friends’ help, the brothers defeat father and gain Alphonse’s body and Edwards’s hand back.
Similarity with anime seven deadly sins
- Full-metal alchemist and 7 deadly sins have many things in common, like the corrupt government, the 7 cardinal sins of human beings. The government is corrupt and is in arms with the antagonist, seen as the good guys. In the full-metal alchemist, the top brass and the leader is already corrupt. While in 7 deadly sins, the knight order overthrows the king to gain power.
- The series depicts the 7 cardinal sins of human beings: pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, and sloth. Both the series have a similar concept of overthrowing the government to restore peace to help the country’s people.
- Though it’s not set in a magical kingdom, it does have a fantasy supernatural aspect to it, with each character having different alchemy powers.
- The character interaction and the heroic and chivalric qualities are upfront. The loyalty, sacrifice, and pain depicted intricately for each character have an intriguing backstory and good character development.
1. Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers
Alt title: Rokka no Yuusha
Genre: adventure, action, fantasy, mystery
An ancient legend states that when the Evil God awakens from the deepest of darkness, the revival of the Demon God, six heroes—the Braves of the Six Flowers—will be chosen by the Goddess of Fate. them power to rise against the fiends attempting to turn the world into a living hell
Adlet, who nonetheless claims to be the strongest on the face of this earth. Therefore, he arrived at the continent of Piena in hopes of becoming a Brave. Consequently, it doesn’t go as smoothly as he had planned. Adlet is ultimately chosen as one of the brave six flowers shortly after being greeted by the crown princess and fellow Brave.
Rokka no Yuusha follows the two as they embark upon their destined journey to fight the Demon God, eventually intending to meet up with their fellow heroes at a small temple outside of the Land of the Howling Demons, the fiends’ domain. However, when they finally unite, seven heroes are present, and soon the others begin to suspect Adlet to be a fraud. Now on the run, Adlet must utilize his unique skill set and wit in a fight for his life to identify which member of the group is the true impostor before it’s too late!
Similarities with seven deadly sins
- The animes are set in ancient times with magical powers granted by the gods
- Mostly the story follows the adventurous journey of the protagonist to meet with the fellow braves
- Overall the show maintains the mysterious badass vibe