Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas.
Is it a Christmas movie?
Is it a Halloween movie?
is yet to be answered, but that doesn’t stop me from watching it on Hallow’s Eve and Christmas Eve. A very important date is upon us and a true lover knows what’s it all about.
Look under your bed, behind your curtains, behind the door and closets! You did the first step, now follows making popcorns and curling up in your bed. Hit play on your laptop and enjoy the upcoming images. First scenes of Halloween animated classic appear – The Nightmare before Christmas.
From the creative mind of Tim Burton, this story is among many that you can choose to watch during this night. But just talking about the famous King of scare, Jack Skellington and his search for spooky spirit is the one that stands out. Further throughout the article, you’ll understand my fixation towards this piece among many in Tim Burton’s universe.
“This is Halloween, this is Halloween, everybody make a scene…”, the song goes and since it is a classic, many people will recognize it. As you can see, the story follows Jack Skellington, king of Halloween town, striving to find the spirit of this town’s main holiday. Year after year, it became like a repetition and quite dull to him. As he ponders about his role in it, Jack finds a door which leads him towards a circle made of threes, each representing a holiday.
A symbol of Christmas tree appealed to him the most so he entered. Discovering the Christmas town, Jack decides to bring cheer to the people of colorful and beautiful pure town. But somehow he doesn’t manage to do it the right way cheery people of Christmas town are used to. The true nightmare begins when Jack, unpurposely, puts Santa to danger.
As he adventures back and forth, searching his identity, you’ll meet some of the most strange yet interesting characters. For example, his loving companion dog Zero, scary and truly evil Oogie Boogie (I know, hard to take him serious with such name), detachable, lonely Sally, the Evil Scientist, and many others.
Here are some interesting facts about the movie:
- Nightmare before Christmas took 3 years to make, taking up to 12 stop-motion moves to create one second of the movie.
- Jack’s ghostly dog Zero has a nose shaped like a glowing Jack-o’-lantern.
- There’s an extended version of the movie where Santa comes back many years later and finds out he has four to five skeleton kids.
- Only three shots in the entire movie were filmed at normal speed (24 fps).
- The opening overheard shot of threes in the forest, the fog coming out of the fountain and bugs falling into the molten pit in Oogie Boogie’s lair
- It should have been presented under the Walt Disney Pictures banner but it was treated as too scary.
- Rated PG (Parental Guidance) – “Some material may not be suitable for children. The movie may have mildly strong language and some violence, but no substance use or physical abuse.”
- There are seven-holiday doors: A Pumpkin (Halloween), a decorated Christmas Tree (Christmas), a Turkey (Thanksgiving), a colored egg (Easter), a green four-leafed clover (St Patrick’s Day), a red heart (Valentine’s Day), a red/white firework (Independence Day).
- There is a Disney video game Kingdom Hearts, featuring worlds characters and a battle between its heroes and Oogie Boogie.
I strongly recommend this spooky animation, The Nightmare Before Christmas is considered a classic and an interesting movie that kids around the world enjoy, not to mention grownups too! And in case that you saw this movie and agree with my opinion then take a look at some other interesting things happening on this site, like Animation in Japan or Pokemon movie!
Welcome to the Top 100+ Hot Anime Guys list! Prepare yourself for the road full of handsome, unique and breath-taking male characters. From younger to a little older. Good boys and bad boys. From immortal to human. They are all different in their own way. But, they have one thing in common. They truly will make your heart skip a…