Fear. It is the most fundamental emotion of a human being. It is almost impossible for someone to be devoid of fear, as everyone is terrified of something. Similarly, when someone has a persistent fear of an object or being, we define it as a Phobia. Phobias are anxiety disorders which lead to long term fear.
Phobias : I Fear….
Unlike most fears, phobias focus on one specific object or being. This fear may be irrational and the person even knows that, but often fails to overcome it. A phobia can prove to be highly annoying in certain situations. Often, the interfere with daily life and create obstacles.
A child with any relatives having anxiety disorders tends to develop phobias. Various environmental or genetic factors also play a role in this. Moreover, any traumatic event may also have its share of cause in phobia.
Furthermore, ongoing medications, drug abuse, exposure to heights or insect bites or brain injuries can result in development of fear. Psychologically, one can classify phobias into three types : Specific phobia, social phobia and Agoraphobia. Some bad experience may trigger them. Exposure to the fearful element is the only way to treat the former. The latter two can be treated with counselling and medication.
Often known as SAD, it is an anxiety disorder which causes fear of social situations. As a result, it mainly hurts daily life. Scrutiny from others may be a cause of this. It leads to excessive blushing, sweating, trembling, stammering, etc. Moreover, people may experience panic attacks in some situations.
Agoraphobia leads to fear of feeling trapped, helpless or embarrassed in situations. Thus, one fears standing in crowded places or standing in line. Because people who have Agoraphobia develop it after a panic attack, it naturally causes them to avoid public places where it may happen. Consequently, they require a known friend to keep them calm.
People can treat these considerably with medication.
Specific phobia is related to objects or beings. It is the fear of specific object or situations. As a result, the person tends to avoid contact with them. Furthermore, in severe cases one might fear the mention of them. Thus such a phobia disrupts daily activities.
Specific phobias can be common or uncommon :
Common types of phobia
- Arachnophobia – The fear of spiders.
- Ophidiophobia – The fear of snakes. People avoid certain cities because they have more snakes.
- Acrophobia – The fear of heights. Five percent of the general population suffer from this phobia.
- Cynophobia is the fear of dogs. This includes all dogs.
- The fear of thunder/lightning is Brontophobia, Tonitrophobia, Ceraunophobia or Astraphobia.
- People define Claustrophobia as the fear of small spaces.
- Next is Mysophobia which is the fear of germs. People also term it as Germophobia or Bacterophobia.
- Aerophobia is the fear of flying.
- Trypophobia, the fear of holes is an unusual but pretty common phobia.
- The fear of cancer is Carcinophobia which causes people to develop extreme diets.
Unusual Types Of Phobia
Furthermore, there are lots of unusual types of phobia as I have listed below.
- Most noteworthy is Xanthophobia, which is the fear of the color yellow. They may go as far as fearing the sun, cheese or even the word itself.
- Turophobia is the overwhelming fear of cheese. People may fear one kind or all kinds of cheese.
- Somniphobia, the fear of sleeping may develop if a person has recurrent nightmares. Furthermore, they associate it with dying.
- Another phobia is Hylophobia of trees. While taking a stroll among the trees is stress reliving, some people feel more panicky doing so.
- Seems like I know someone with this. Nomophobia is the few of having no mobile coverage. It is a recent phobia.
- If you ever took the statement ‘Going out in the rain will make you sick’ very seriously, the may have gone through Ombrophobia. Consequently, it is the fear of rain.
- Almost similar to Heirophobia, Papaphobia is the fear of the pope. Have you been sinning?
- Uranophobia is the fear of heaven. Seems like some people prefer hell more.
- Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is the fear of long words. It is almost as if someone is being an asshole*le here.
- Finally, phobophobia is the fear of phobia.
In conclusion, both you and I have learnt quite a lot about fear and phobia. I hope you enjoyed the article! Also, feel free to leave your experiences about fear or phobia in general, I’d love to read them!
I’m a total fan of Japan and Japanese culture. In fact, my wish is to go and live in Japan. At least for some short period of time to see how things really work there. Because, like every other country, Japan also has some good and some quite bad sides. But, in this article, we are going to focus only on…